Friday 24 October 2008

the Workshops : Self -portrait & Situation drawing

SELF-PORRAIT ‘My boundary, my field’
This project aims to find an individual way to portrait one of my characteristic for others. Every day we have a number of chances to connect with crowds on the Tube, in bus stop and underground station, staying in a square, in classroom and so on. For me, crowds have an important meaning for me because I would like to stay with people and do my works then feel somebody around me. However, I can feel my space is changing. This is not because of the real architectural space. It’s based on the people who are around or pass me. The crowds defined my field or boundary (we also say space). Therefore, I tried to identify the boundary which I stay in and using the camera and sketch to record the people who have the identify meaning of my boundary. In this case, the crowds are not all the people surround me and it means I can remember at every recording time. So, I choose three places which I usually stay everyday to record – the court yard of UCL accommodation, the main entrance of UCL, the Kings cross station Final presentation – I made a ‘boundary portfolio’. It shows the segments which record every 30 seconds the people who are surround me and I can record. Also, over lapping segments shows my field when I am in that place. This project let me recognize the perception of the field which I belong and rethinking how to portrait things in the different aspects.
Situation Drawing
Firstly, projecting the adjacent situation, which is above and below my desk, is regard as clues on the paper to record the environment surrounding me. And then adding the elements of graphic information system and flyer markings in the situation paper aims to reorganise and redefine the linear spaces on the paper. This is for representing a kind of site condition under certain situation.
The other step is to draw the sections and elevations of the door pivot in the studio, and then to add the perspective of one part of it. The sections and elevations are reformed and reconstructed to represent a structure of a ‘building’ (plan and section).
Finally, decomposing the ‘site’ and inserting the ‘building’ by considering the condition of the site and the building. It presents a high-tension structure which is suspended in between the two sites at a high level. The information signals and the lines on the site are used as a hint to connect the ‘building’ and the site.

No comments: